Sunday, June 8, 2008

From Chelsea Pier to the Apple Store.

These are just a few images I took when I went out exploring New York during some weekend. Most are around Chelsea Pier next to the galleries while a few are those of the apple store.

This little band was hanging from a small tree. I read what was written on it and took the photographer's liberty and tried to show just one part of the band. I purposely chose a low angle because now it gives a whole new dimension and meaning to the photograph.




I was trying to get the couple together but I was lucky as the man turned his head as soon as I clicked, the motion of his face and the blurred foreground shows that the subject is just in her own world, thinking of something or a lot of things!







This text caught my attention because, Chelsea is an area with many art galleries. It is truely an art district and then I read this "What is art?" written outside one of the galleries. The reason why I framed it this way is because the answer for the question is right in the background. Graffiti, cars and buildings. All are art but they are blurred (or unclear) because people don't understand it and try to take it lightly and consider it as something that is not important by asking such questions!
The person who wrote this doesn't know that what he has written is an art work in itself. 

One of my favourite techniques in film making is the "Vertigo" or "zolley" or "contra zoom" shot. These are different names for the same shot. 
In this shot, the DP dollies the camera forward and zooms out simultaneously or vice-a-versa. This gives a "vertigo" effect. The reason why some people call it vertigo is because Alfred Hitchcock used it for the first time in his film, "Vertigo." This technique basically keeps the subject in the middle and depending on what opposing action you choose, the background either gets bigger or smaller. The subject still stays in the same place. I tried to do the same with my digital SLR and it worked! 
Here you will see that the centre portion is still while the sides seem to be having a motion.








2 comments:

Gogolab said...

As always,I loveee your style! like you know the picture where we can just see legs in a square of grass; it could be a simple funny picture but you give an other symbol thanks to your others pictures. Also, I'm interesting by the picture where when can see some fake top models, a chair and a wheel which seem to fly in the sky... how did you do for having this effect??? Your colors, your point of view impress me because you have the skills to play with objects/colors/persons... AMAZING AND CAPTIVATING!

Anonymous said...

your crazy (good crazy!) editing is so great.