Monday, June 9, 2008

The Holga effect without a Holga lens. I just slightly moved the camera as soon as I clicked with a fairly slow shutter speed.

There was something going on and I don't know what. I could have waited and taken a picture which would explain everything well but instead I tried to hide behind these cops. Since I literally "framed" the man in the middle of the cop and the trash can (which by the way reads, "Keep NYC clean") it makes the guy look like he has been trapped and everyone around him is trying to get a sneak peak of what's going on.








I am not against graffiti but when it is misused, like over here I get upset. I don't think it is fair to spoil such a historic architecture.













This picture of the ashtray is New York for me and I don't think I need to further explain this.

10 comments:

K.P. said...

You could do a whole portfolio of NYC underground! Interesting subway shots.

K.P. said...

By the way....when is graffiti (defacing someone's property historic or not) ok?

Rosy said...

I love the flag pole picture, it reminds me of the architecture of authority exhibition. Also it's very good that you are capturing small things like the graffiti stickers that almost anyone can see, and doing it with you're own point of view expressing what you think about graffiti.

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the little girl in the yellow shirt. She's adorable and completely innocent looking. The fact that this picture is out of focus really works, if it was in focus the photo would actually be less appealing to me. Something about it makes her look even younger, even more trusting and naive. It definitely captures not just a moment, but a whole phase of life for me.

Oscar said...

I really like the portraits you took in the sub. All the people in the photos look... really tired and overwhelmed. Arg I wish I had a smaller lens.. mine looks almost like a... weapon even to me. and the ashtray, that is a very interesting suggestions ;)

Anonymous said...

i love how our pictures take me along with you on your journey as you shoot through the day. i think you can probably play around with narrative in these images. love the last few, great colours and composition.

Gogolab said...

I really like your style! but I wonder : the second picture, when we can see a man on the ground, do you what's happened ?
And I also like the fact that you're never seem afraid to take pictures of situation, of people in their real life ( whereas me it's not my case!!! ) .

Gogolab said...

And also the contrast between the reality and the character (as cartoon ) give to the image an interesting aspect... more abstract but really attractive for the eyes of the spectator.

Keya said...

I absolutely loved the cigarette butts picture. It captured what you tried to say perfectly and I am extremely extremely impressed with your work. I felt like I was re-living New York.

jbkopstein said...

wow! brilliant photographs here. LOVE the one of the reflection in the mirror, I see those images in fashion magazines done by professional photogs, so you are clearly very gifted! This series works very well together despite the differences in the subject matter. :)