Monday, June 2, 2008

Exploring Union Square





These two looked like animals or just human beings helping each other. The "posture" is exactly like that of a living being's.
Pixar can start brainstorming for their new film :P

When I saw these NEWS boxes I really liked the colours but I was really amazed by the fact that all of them are together, I feel if its necessary to have so many at one place. Probably all contain the same news. The ways these are placed it also shoes competition between them. This is so NYC the buildings in Manhattan are mainly offices and headquarters competing with each other every time.

I wanted to take a picture of the empty telephone both and this bus came behind it. Both, the bus as well as the booth have the colours yellow and black therefore I zoomed out completely to notice the illusion in the image. The matching colours and the subject placement makes this an interestingly humorous picture.

Even without seeing the whole tree just by looking at the shadow and relating it to the trunk we know the shadow belong to the tree. Sometimes without giving too much information, subtle revelation can leave a strong impact.


I was trying to get the texture of the clouds and the buildings that lead towards it. The slow shutter speed made this picture slightly blur. This mistake works very well as it makes the image look dreamy and surreal.

This is NYC at it's best. It reminds me of Spiderman every-time I see see it. The people at the bottom contribute to a certain section of the society while the building on the side another and the Chrysler right at the end represents a section of the society that is completely different from the other two. While taking this picture I tried to keep the foreground slightly underexposed while the back exposed enough to see the form of the Chrysler building.


I saw these kids having a good time skating and playing I immediately changed my shutter speed to capture New Yorker's in action. The line of buildings and the beautiful sky ads some softness to this hardcore sport.

The vast and empty space was intriguing and I have to take this picture by opening up the aperture completely and using a wide angle lense so that the edges blur making these row of benches seems endless.



A form of life that was posing for me, I couldn't stop myself from capturing this very private moment.
How often does one get to see an empty space like this in NYC. What interested me the most was how the lights were placed and the curve that leads the eye to the Union Square station and eventually showing us a few people filling the frame.
One of my favourite pictures. I call it "Crowd." Union Square obviously represents NYC in this picture. The plants that frame the station in my picture are metaphors for people. Plants are the perfect substitute as they have life just like us humans. The flowers also represent the softer side of people here. It is from personal experience, I haven't met any rude people yet and the flowers fit this environment.
I was sure that the Squirrel would run away, therefore I took this picture with a slow shutter speed and as a result the motion of the squirrel ads a third dimension to the picture making the movement look real. Had I used a tripod the rest of the image wouldn't have been as blurred.


The first picture I took at Union Square was that of this statue. I was still a tourist, but the transformation began as I tried to look at the less obvious.

4 comments:

Oscar said...

The photos of the rollerboarding kids came out really well... Like the composition you did in those photos. Also the one with the chrysler in the back.

K.P. said...

Great use of color in your photos! I really enjoyed the phone booths/bus photo. It takes patience and a good eye to capture that.

Anonymous said...

You have great perspective in all of your photos. I’ve noticed that when I look at your pictures, I look at the subjects in a different way than I have before. Like in the first picture in your post, the photo of the bus and telephone booth and the picture of the flowers in the foreground of the Union Square subway entrance (these are just a few examples), I see everything differently than when I just looked at it myself. This is a very cool as well as skillful thing about the pictures you take.

Gogolab said...

I enjoy seeing the shoot about these kids who were posing for you while doing their performances.
I think they also appreciated the interest that you were being about them.
The picture with the bus and the phone boxes is really spontaneous and heavy. Indeed, you think it's a funny picture but, according to me, it's an amazing moment which is rare but so expressive!
For the others, I like your eyesight when you play with your camera.