Monday, June 2, 2008

Clicking with New York

Being an outsider one always has high expectations from a place like New York City. Fortunately, as soon as I landed in NYC I was shocked to see how crowded and dirty the city was. I used "fortunately" because, it feels great to know that my country is not the only country that has a reputation of being dirty, messy or crowded. This instantly gave me the idea of showing a different side of the city. These pictures are targeted to all outsiders, people who have a certain perception of New York. This is not a very fascinating fact for those living in this city. Therefore, in order to balance this out I have tried to project my ideas in a metaphoric way. There is no point explaining things to a viewer. To me art, works better if it is interactive and it is always fascinating to see what judgements or conclusions people come up with after looking at these pictures.

What you will see is just the first set pictures, there could be some that are not related to the topic. To clear things out, I am not trying to portray New York as a bad place to visit. In face due to this crowd there is so much diversity. When this city is empty something seems wrong. It is the people that makes the city what it is. Try seeing NYC without the tall building, wide roads blinding lights and it will still be as impressive.

The idea is to see New York like no outsider must have ever seen before. I have tried to move away from the obvious. I am not seeing what I am supposed to see, instead I am looking at what is right in front of me. I am not seeing the Stature of Liberty or the Empire State Building bu as I walk on the streets of NYC I see trash lying all over, I struggle to find a spot where I Can place my foot, I see building walls covered with beautiful graffiti and most importantly hundreds of people, just doing their own thing.

This is how I perceive New York and hopefully this has been represented in my pictures.



No comments: